Happy Kimmy Schmidt Day! All 13 episodes of the new Netflix original series are now available to stream. Gina and I are so excited about Tina Fey working in sitcoms again that we decided to devote an entire season of a podcast to it (our first episode drops Tuesday, March 10). The show stars Ellie Kemper, who plays a woman recently liberated from a cult. That sounds darker than I think it’s intended to be, but watch the trailer if you don’t believe me. Here’s why you should be excited to binge-watch this show this weekend.
- Tina! Tina! Tina! Obviously, this is number one, right? We still miss 30 Rock and quote Liz Lemon circa 2010 to this day. If this show pulls much from the wonderful surreality the 30 Rock world was set in, I’m psyched. (Note from Gina: Meryl, did you know that as white ladies in their 20s/30s, we are actually legally required to love Tina Fey? It’s true! But honestly, If she made a show about Belgian cheesemongers, I would at least give it a shot. Actually that could be kind of great.)
- Tituss Burgess. Speaking of 30 Rock, Gina was especially PUMPED to see D’Fwan’s lovely face again. This actor is also a Broadway star so we’re pretty sure we’ll get to hear some tenor at some point in this first season. (Note from Gina: Look out Meryl – I have a bottle of D’Fwine White Throwing Wine chilling in the PodFort™.)
- Ellie Kemper. I was lukewarm on her character on The Office (I realize I’m in the minority here). However, she won me over 100 percent in Bridesmaids. I’m on board with a vehicle steered by her. (Note from Gina: Agreed. Also, based on the trailer, I love that her character seems so upbeat and positive. Humor with heart takes some real comedy chops, so I’m excited to see what she can do.)
- Jane Krakowski. I am unbelievably excited to see this comedic genius at play again. She was such a wonderful part of 30 Rock and I hope she is in as much of Kimmy Schmidt as possible. (Note from Gina: I adore Krakowski as well, but why is her character’s last name Voorhees? It’s an odd choice, right? Is she supposed to be related to Jason from Friday the 13th or something? Am I the only one thinking this?)
- We can watch along together. Netflix dropping entire seasons at midnight and walking away is the new appointment television. I loved reading tweets LAST Friday along with the rest of the world as we watched House of Cards together and made fun of Kevin Spacey’s insane southern drawl.
That said, Gina and I will not be binging Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt — instead, we’re watching two episodes each week, so we can re-cap them being as spoiler-free as possible for the Addison Recorded podcast. This is just our cross to bear, America. Listen along with us starting March 10 when our re-cap of the pilot becomes available on Soundcloud.
Tweet at us with the hashtag #AddisonRecorded as we go, and let us know what you think of the show. We’re recording our re-caps of the pilot and episode two tonight so if you send us your questions, we’ll give you some answers on the show.